Your immune system is essential for good health. Every day, your immune system works hard to fight off potential illnesses to keep you healthy and active. Without a properly working immune system, simply enough, life as we know it wouldn’t be possible. This is why it’s so important to do what you can to protect your immune system.
There are many ways to protect your immune system. Regular exercise, maintaining a healthy weight, getting good sleep, and avoiding vice like smoking or alcohol in excess can all help you maintain an effective and functioning immune system. But perhaps the most important thing you can do is to eat a balanced and healthy diet. In this blog, we’re looking specifically at the connection between diet and your immunity and reviewing some of the best foods to help you boost the health of your immune system.
At PhytAge Labs, we’re proud to offer a comprehensive catalog of all-natural, organic health supplements to address existing health problems and also to boost your overall health and wellness. We’ve developed an entire line of organic health supplements to address a variety of health issues. With many of the top-selling health supplements on the market, such as Joint Relief 911, Nerve Control 911, Tinnitus 911, and more, we’re sure to have a health supplement suited for your healthcare goals.
What Does Your Immune System Do?
Let’s start with the basics: what exactly does your immune system do? The immune system is a complex system made up of different proteins, organs, and cells all working together to protect your body from outside invaders. Many different parts of the body work in cohesion to create the cells forming the immune system, including your lymph nodes, bone marrow, spleen, thymus, adenoids, and even your tonsils.
The immune system can be divided into two parts: the innate immune system and the adaptive immune system.
- Innate immune system: this is the immune system you’re born with and it starts working for you from day one. The innate immune system is made up of your skin, the corneas of your eyes, and the mucous membranes lining your respiratory system and your gastrointestinal tract. Think of this as your “armor” and your first line of defense against foreign bacteria or viruses that could cause your body harm.
- Adaptive immune system: with some assistance from your innate immune system, the acquired immune system is responsible for creating proteins known as antibodies to repel specific invaders. Antibodies can take days to form, but following the initial exposure, the immune system will then recognize the specific invader and know how to defend against it. This is why exposure to certain illnesses can eventually help you develop an even stronger, more effective immune system.
7 Food That Will Boost Your Immune System
Your diet can make a major impact on the health and effectiveness of your immune system. Consider adding the following foods to your diet to provide your immune system with that extra boost it needs to keep you healthy.
- Citrus fruits: as many of us know, Vitamin C is one of your greatest weapons when fighting off the common cold or other illnesses. Vitamin C is believed to increase your production of white blood cells, which fight off infections. Luckily, many foods like citrus fruits are packed with this key vitamin. This includes oranges, lemons, limes, tangerines, and grapefruit.
- Broccoli: while many of us may not have loved this one growing up, broccoli is absolutely packed with key vitamins and minerals. Broccoli has high levels of fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and powerful antioxidants. Try to steam your broccoli, versus cooking it, to retain more nutrients.
- Garlic: add some flavor to your meal and protect your immunity with some garlic. With a heavy concentration of compounds that contain sulfur, like allicin, Garlic is noted for it’s immune boosting properties. Some studies suggest it may also help to lower blood pressure.
- Spinach: throwing together a salad with spinach as your base is an excellent way to support your immune system. Spinach is loaded with Vitamin C and also contains high levels of antioxidants and beta carotene. Similar to broccoli, it’s most effective to absorb these nutrients if spinach is lightly cooked—or not cooked at all. Yet some studies suggest light cooking can help release the Vitamin A.
- Yogurt: for an immune-boosting snack, try some yogurt. Yogurts that contain the phrase live and active cultures on the label may be able to support your immune system. Yogurt is also a great source of Vitamin D, and on top of that, it tastes great, too.
- Almonds: here’s another great snack that’s good for your immune system. Almonds are rich in Vitamin E, which like Vitamin C, is effective at fighting off illnesses. They’re also a great source of additional vitamins and healthy fats.
- Green tea: green tea has long been renowned for its multiple health benefits, including boosting your immune system.
Conclusion – 7 Food That Will Boost Your Immune System
They may not be visible, but bacteria, viruses, and germs are all around you. In fact, it’s almost impossible to go any period of time without some type of exposure to them—so why aren’t you sick all the time? Well, you have your immune system to thank. This complex system of proteins, organs, and cells work hard to identify foreign invaders as they enter the body. By developing antibodies, you can then repel these invaders and ward off an illness or begin recovering from a virus or bacteria.
Luckily, there are many ways to protect your immunity. For one, your diet can play a major role in the strength of your immune system. Try to include citrus fruit, garlic, broccoli, ginger, spinach, and some yogurt to help strengthen your immune system so that it can effectively defend you each and every day.
At PhytAge Labs, we’ve proudly developed a complete line of organic health supplements to boost your overall health and wellness. With many top selling products including Blood Pressure 911, Tinnitus 911, Prostate 911, Joint Relief 911, and more, we’re sure to have a health supplement that’s right for you.
Contact us today to learn more about how our line of organic health supplements can help you meet your health and wellness goals. Together, let’s begin your journey toward a happier and healthier life.