We all love digging into a dish of pasta or enjoying one of your favorite fried foods, but did you know that these foods can have a negative impact on your blood sugar levels? Certain foods, especially those high in carbohydrates, can cause a sudden spike in your blood sugar levels. When your blood sugar is high for too long, this can lead to a range of health problems, including an increased risk of heart disease, developing type-2 diabetes, stroke, kidney damage, or even nerve damage.
This is why it’s essential to keep tabs on your blood sugar levels, especially as you get older, to ensure good health for years to come. To help, we’re taking a closer look at certain foods and ingredients that can skyrocket your blood sugar levels—and then offering some options for what you can replace these ingredients and foods with in your diet.
Here at PhytAge Labs, we know a thing or two about developing a healthy lifestyle. As a leader in the organic health supplement industry, we’ve created an advanced line of all-natural health supplements to help our customers address their existing health problems, and at the same time, maintain optimal health for years to come. With an extensive selection of health supplements, including Tinnitus 911, Nerve Control 911, Prostate 911, and much more, we can help you live a happier and healthier life—well into your golden years.
What is High Blood Sugar?
High blood sugar, also known as hyperglycemia, is a common health problem that affects millions of individuals around the globe. Essentially, high blood sugar means that there is too much sugar, or glucose, in your blood because the body is lacking enough insulin. Insulin is responsible for transporting glucose into the blood. In many cases, hyperglycemia is linked with diabetes or pre-diabetes.
Whether or not you’re living with diabetes, a variety of factors can cause an individual to develop hyperglycemia. That’s why it’s critical to speak with your doctor if you have concerns about your blood sugar. They can perform a complete diagnosis to identify the cause of your high blood sugar, and from there, develop the most effective treatment option, which may include new dietary guidelines.
What are the Risks of High Blood Sugar?
If left untreated, there are significant health risks associated with high levels of blood sugar. While having high blood sugar often leaves an individual feeling thirsty, hungrier than usual, or leave them with blurred vision or a tingling sensation in their extremities, high blood sugar, over time, can also lead to significant health risks.
Some of these top health risks of high blood sugar include:
- Kidney damage.
- Nerve damage.
- Skin problems.
- Heart disease.
Which Ingredients and Foods Will Skyrocket Your Blood Sugar?
No matter your fitness level or condition of health, you should strive to avoid foods that will cause a quick spike in your blood sugar levels, or at the very least, consume them only in moderation. But many of us may be consuming these foods without even realizing the effect its having on our health.
To help, take a look at these foods that can skyrocket your blood sugar levels. If you can’t cut them out of your diet entirely, try to at least only consume them in moderation.
- White grains: white grains, such as white rice, white pasta, or white bread, are all major sources of refined carbohydrates. White grains, as compared to whole grains, have much of the grain stripped during processing, which means you lose out on valuable nutrients, such as fiber, when eating these foods.
- Sugary drinks: drinks that are high in added sugar, such as soft drinks or even fruit juices, can quickly cause your blood sugar to skyrocket. Additionally, these drinks rarely contain anything of nutritional value, such as protein, fiber, or healthy fats. Most people also say that these drinks do a poor job of actually making them feel rehydrated, so they simply end up drinking even more.
- Fast food: it’s no secret that fast food can be problematic for your health, but one reason you may not be aware of is due to the high level of sugar in these items. For example, a meal at McDonald’s, like a burger and fries, can contain almost as much sugar as a candy bar. Try to avoid fast food and other highly processed items to help keep your blood sugar levels in check.
- Fruit: that’s right, even fruit can cause your blood sugar to spike due to the high level of sugars and carbohydrates. However, there’s also a lot of nutritional value in fruit, so you shouldn’t cut this out of your diet entirely. Rather, focus on moderation when it comes to enjoying some fresh fruit.
What Should You Replace these Foods With?
At first glance, it might seem difficult (or for some of us, downright impossible) to totally cut out these foods from your diet. However, it’s important to note that you don’t need to totally disown these foods, but rather, only eat them in moderation. When it comes to developing a healthy diet, it’s really all about balance, ensuring you get enough whole grains, lean meats, fruits, and vegetables to give your body the fuel it needs.
But if you’re looking for a diet that can help you regulate your blood sugar, consider adding in some of these options to replace those foods that can spike your blood sugar:
- “Good” carbs, including whole grain bread and cereals.
- Whole wheat pasta.
- Brown rice.
As you can see, many of these alternatives are just as accessible (and delicious) as those that can skyrocket your blood sugar and lead to health issues. Making a choice as simple as opting for brown rice instead of white rice can make a major improvement on your diet and your overall health and wellness. And if you’re interested in even more options, check out additional foods to help manage blood sugar levels.
Conclusion – The Common Ingredients that Skyrocket Your Blood Sugar (And What to Replace Them With)
When it comes to maintaining good health, your diet is an absolutely pivotal piece of this puzzle. Your diet affects every aspect of your overall health and a healthy, balanced diet can dramatically reduce your risk of developing a range of health problems. That’s why it’s important to be aware of potential foods that can skyrocket your blood sugar levels, especially if you’re already struggling with your blood sugar level. Instead of choosing white grains, sugary drinks, or fast food, opt for whole grain pasta or bread, vegetables, seafood, or even some nuts as a snack to help you maintain healthy blood sugar levels.
Additionally, if you’re looking to give your health and wellness an extra boost, the team at PhytAge Labs is here to help. Our line of organic health supplements can help you address existing health issues and provide your body with the nutrients and vitamins it needs to stay active and healthy.Interested in taking your health to the next level? Contact us today to learn more about maintaining good health and how our full line of all-natural and organic health supplements can help you meet your health and wellness goals. Together, let’s begin your journey toward a happier, healthier life.